I attended a cooking class yesterday at Williams Sonoma on healthy eating recipes. The subject of chia seeds came up during class and I was amazed at how many people have never heard of them. For your diet that is, because we have all heard about those crazy Chia pets and we don't eat those seeds. Those guys are for fun and not FDA approved. ;) The Chia seed sparked a lot of interest. It was a great topic of conversation and inspired my post today. I wanted to bring awareness to this "little magic seed" and the incredible health benefits that it provides when incorporated into your daily diet. Here are just a few highlights of why these should be a staple in your pantry.
- They are the highest source of Omega 3 fatty acids (more than Salmon!!) They are a great source of protein, fiber, antioxidants (more than blueberries), vitamins, minerals and calcium
- They are energizing. The ancient Aztec warriors could go an entire day on one tablespoon!
- They reduce cravings. They have a high fiber content and absorb a lot of water. Great for endurance athletes or anyone trying to reduce their calorie consumption.
- They are easy to digest. They do not require grinding to digest (like flaxseed).
- They are mild and virtually tasteless. They add a wonderful crunch to your foods. I add them to breads, muffins, smoothies, protein shakes, sprinkle on frozen yogurt, greek yogurt and oatmeal, cereal, etc. They are so versatile and easy to use!